Thursday, June 16, 2005

Oh, for crying out loud

Australia's national broadcaster has a radio quiz show which I can get on my radio but I think emanates from Sydney -- 2BL. In recent months I have listened twice. Last week for five minutes, and tonight for another five.

Last week the quizmaster would not allow from the phone-in contestant that Harpo Marx was a musician. "He was a funny guy, but not a musician". I guess Adolphe Marx should have been called 'Funno', in that case. Or 'Amuso'.

Tonight's five excruciating minutes were of similar calibre. The quizmistress asks, "Which country cans three-quarters of the world's canned pineapples?" Not exactly rocket science. One fellow answered "the USA", a very reasonable answer which threw the presenter into such a tizzy that she actually had to put music on while she went off to talk to someone (almost certainly not a staffer), who apparently knew that Hawaii is a state of a nation, and not a nation state.

Now I've heard everything the ABC can possibly throw at me.

Until tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home