Friday, May 06, 2005

Dangerous seas around the Horne

I do some radio and it's fraught with dangers. Just Wednesday, I recorded 16 Almanac programs in the studio at 2BBB Bellingen and yesterday they emailed to say that the disk was blank. It will be a lost day to go and do it again, and $8 in petrol. Lucky I got my dole yesterday.

Like I said, radio is fraught. Yesterday's Late Night Live was good, and it was interesting to hear Mr Adams interview 83-year-old Donald Horne.

Philip was going great guns until he told Mr Horne that he had been among the best Australian writers of autobiography until Clive James came along. Was that a backhanded compliment, a forehanded double whammy, or just a serve? I felt, or hope I felt, the host bite blood from his wrist a moment after he said it, but live radio is as unforgiving as the live journal. j/k ... blogs forgive because we can correct ourselves.

A more important turtle: the link I've given above to Donald Horne has a precis of the interview, but you have to click back to the LNL link, also above, before you can hear the audio, which won't be there in a week but archived. It's great that we can listen in Windows Media or unReal Media, but the audio link really should be on the precis page and it would only take the webmaster a minute. Quite obviously, if people send a link to friends or post a linkback on their sites, they will want to post the precis page, not the LNL page, and it should have the interview on it. I frequently tell Blogmanac readers about something hot on LNL, and it's been a problem for me as I know that the edition will be hard for my readers to find and enjoy. Auntie, this turtle is a must.

Philip Adams is a ledge, and of course, so is Donald Horne. I sat next to him once at those huge tables in the Mitchell Library . When he left I snagged one of his signed Stack slips. It's yours to frame if you have a lazy fifty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home