Monday, May 02, 2005

Hadn't have, or hadn't of?

As a father of three, and grandfather of four, I can't really help it when the parent in me comes to the fore.

As any parent knows, when one of the children does something naughty, we often appeal to their sense of duty, if not superiority, in respect of their younger siblings. "Don't run with that knife, Bubby will copy you." Or, when Bubby stabs herself, "Billy, Bubby copied you! Go to your hole" ... and so on.

My turtle today is of that nature. Yesterday's statement by the Treasurer, viz, "I wish it hadn't have happened", requires that I reprimand not Peter Costello but his betters. If he hadn't heard "hadn't have" (or is it "hadn't of"?) on ABC (because so many 'Auntie' presenters say that), he wouldn't of said it. He's learned it by listening, as we all do; as my grandchildren do.

If I had thought of it, I would've said as well that if his ABC elders and betters hadn't so often said "hadn't have", Petie would not have passed it on to Little Johnny. However, John Howard has been saying "hadn't have" for so long I'm beginning to wonder if it's he who is the elder and better, not just of Peter but also of Auntie.

Note to the Treasurer: Perhaps the Commonwealth monies saved by the ravaging of all those essential services to the poor could be spent on grammar coaching for the national broadcaster. This I ask, because my grandchildren might become listeners. You see, once, in my old-fashioned, quaint, paternal manner, I used to advise my children to use the English language "as they do on the ABC".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home