Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Radio National underselling podcast service

The ABC Radio National podcast service is the best I've found of any broadcaster in the world. Even the BBC has a far smaller number of podcasts available, and they are available on a one-week trial only -- I don't know what happens after the week, maybe you have to pay.

I listen to ABC podcasts on my computer, with its dial-up connection. That's why I find it odd that the promo ABC-RN is running for its service states that you need a broadband connection. I wrote to ABC-RN to point out that they're doing themselves out of approximately half their audience, but the ads are still running.

It's been my experience over the years that although ABC radio actively solicits emails and letters, they reply to them once in a blue moon, so I can't tell you what their attitude is to my suggestion. In the unlikely event that I should hear from them, I'll let readers know their response. Meanwhile, don't believe their ads: dial-up is slow, but adequate for receiving ABC's excellent mp3s. I highly recommend these podcasts, so dip in regardless of your connection.

Update: The the Editor of Presentation and Production at ABC Radio National has commented on this post (click the Comments link). Thank you, Tim.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pip Wilson said...

Thanks, Tim. Point taken. I've searched and searched, and as far as I can find, ABC Radio National has the best podcast service of any radio station in the world. Keep up the good work. - Pip

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home